History of Duncan Hall


The initial part of Duncan Hall was started in 1928, and finished in July of that year. This three-story brick building was designed by Warren, Knight and Davis of Birmingham and constructed by the Southern Construction Company. It was named for President L. N. Duncan who began in 1920 to put aside a reserve each year for construction of the Extension Service Building. Duncan Hall

The building is of Georgian style with limestone trim. The building was originally designed to use Indiana limestone, but Dr. Knapp and Professor Duncan requested an Alabama product be used, so limestone from Franklin County near Professor Duncan's home was selected. All materials used were Alabama products. The building was dedicated August 7, 1929, with Dr. Knapp presiding. In June of 1939, an extra wing was added which measured 70 feet by 18 feet, and the Duncan Hall garages were also built.