History of the L-Building


The first part of the "L" building was constructed in 1923 by the West Point Iron Works with Horace Lanier, contractor, and Dan T. Jones, inspector. All materials and funds for this building were donated so that the actual cost to the college was only approximately $1,500. A wing was added in 1929, giving the building the shape of an "L". This wing, designed by Warren, Knight and Davis, was built by the Coston Construction Company for $30,000. When the Wilmore Engineering Laboratory was built in September, 1948, the original east wing, 50 feet by 125 feet, was torn down. This building was designed for instruction in carpentry and building trades.