History of O.D. Smith Hall


The O.D. Smith Dormitory for boys was built in 1908. It is a two story brick building of Flemish style architecture built on the Bradford Lots. Plans were presented to the college on August 22, 1907 by architects Warren and Walton, with J. A. Cullers of Auburn, Alabama as the contractor. In the summer of 1921 the building was converted into a girl's dormitory. Fire broke out on Thanksgiving morning, 1933, causing the thirty-four women students in the dormitory to have to relocate. The salvagable furniture was moved to the lawn in front of Samford Hall.

In the spring of 1934, Smith Hall was rebuilt within its existing walls with funds from insurance and a grant from CWA, and in the fall of 1934, it was remodeled to accommodate the Home Economics Department. A research laboratory for this department, known as Smith Hall Annex was added in 1948. Construction on this project was delayed until the college could exchange property with the Presbyterian Church.

odboysdorm.jpg (73473 bytes)