University Chapel


SIZE: 2.091 square feet
BUILT: 1850;RESTORED: 1976
FLOORS: 1

CURRENT USE:
Student Chapel

The Chapel, restored and designated a Bicentennial building in the 1970's, is listed in the National Register of Historic Buildings. Built in 1850-51, the Chapel was first used as a church by the Presbyterians. It was then used for classrooms after the main college burned in 1887. After completion of a new Presbyterian church in 1917, the old building became a center for YMCA activities, and in 1921 it was traded to the college for an adjacent lot. For some 40 years, it was used as a theatre by the Auburn Players. Contributions from Ed Lee Spencer, Jr., Chi Omega sorority, along with funds from the Alabama Historical Commission and the University made the restoration possible. The chapel's organ was presented by an anonymous donor. Architecture Professor Nicholas Davis planned the restoration.


Floor Plans

Basement, First Floor, and Balcony


Aerial view of Auburn University Campus

Auburn University Library of Architecture, Design, and Construction

Auburn University Special Collections and Archives Homepage


Content originator: Jacqueline S. Carter

Page editor: Jennifer Feltman



2003
Return to AU Library Home