FINDING AID

AUBURN UNIVERSITY SPECIAL COLLECTIONS & ARCHIVES


Guide to the James Deford Hays Papers, RG 5


Listed by: Dieter C. Ullrich
Date: May 2003

Date Span:
1925-1993, bulk 1961-1978

Size:
21.25 cubic feet

Number of Boxes:
19 RC Boxes, 1 Letter doc Boxes, 1 1/2 doc box, 1 flat oversize box, 1 small shoebox.

Biographical Sketch:
James D. Hays was a Madison County, Alabama, banker, farmer and landowner. He was born at the family farm at Haysland in south Huntsville in 1909. He earned a degree in chemical engineering from the University of Alabama, and was awarded an honorary doctorate of law from the University of Alabama in 1977 and later an honorary doctorate degree from Auburn University. Hays was involved in the Farm Bureau on the county and then state level. From 1961 until 1976 he served as president of the Alabama Farm Bureau Federation. He was also a member of numerous civic and community institutions, organizations, and involvements which included the Huntsville Industrial Associates, the Alabama Heritage Trust Fund, the Alabama Trust Fund in Montgomery, the Airport Authority, and was a longtime member of Central Presbyterian Church of Huntsville. Hays was a founding director of Compass Bank and played a key role in the creation and merger of State National Bank and Central Bank. He died on April 4, 1998, at the age of 88 years

Scope and Content:
Contains the papers of James D. Hays, President, Alabama Farm Bureau from 1961 to 1978. Consists of material on the American Farm Bureau Federation and the Alabama Farm Bureau Federation; their related subsidiaries, marketing associations, etc.; personal papers of James D. Hays ; and audio cassettes and transcripts of interviews with Hays concerning his involvement with the Alabama Farm Bureau Federation beginning in the 1930s and culminating with his term as president of that organization.


Item list:

Box 1

Box 2

Box 3

Box 4

Box 5

Box 6

Box 7

Box 8

Box 9

Box 10

Box 11

Box 12

Box 13

Box 14

Box 15

Box 16

Box 17

Box 18

Box 19

Box 20

Box 21

Box 22

Box 23

Return to Special Collections & Archives Homepage