AUBURN UNIVERSITY SPECIAL COLLECTIONS & ARCHIVES
Guide to the Parish family papers, RG 79
Listed by: Dieter C. Ullrich
Date: July 2003
0.1 cubic feet; 8 items.
Historical or Biographical Sketch:
Elam Parish (1815- ) and family resided on a farm near
Marion, Perry County, Alabama during the 1840s and 1850s. Elam's brother W. A. Parish and his wife
Catherine E. Parish immigrated from Marion to Huntsville, Texas sometime in the late 1840's. Wiley and
Celai Kirby of Jackson, Madison County, Tennessee were related to the Parish's by marriage.
Scope and Content:
Consists of photocopies and transcripts of five letters written to the
Parish family in Marion, Alabama, 1849-1854 from relatives. Four of the letters are written from
Huntsville, Texas, and one from Madison County, Tennessee. Also included in the papers is a copy of a
letter written by Jaby Curry, Marion, Alabama, to William Curry in 1844; a write up of Thomas Curry's
death; also a clipping from The Baptist Church for March 5, 1903, on Dr. J. L. M. Curry.
1. October 20, 1849 - Huntsville, Texas. From W. A. Parish to his Mother, Mrs. Emily Parish. In addition
to family news the writer refers to: Gulf passage to Houston and stage fare from Houston to Huntsville,
conditions in Huntsville. Huntsville as possible site of government and to the upcoming vote in the
spring, urges relatives to come visit.
2. November 4, 1849 - From Catharine E. Parrish in Huntsville to Elam Parish in Marion, Ala. Family
reference to college at Huntsville, Texas (now Sam Houston State College), general conditions in
Huntsville and Reference to Sons of Temperance.
3. October 15, 1850 - From W. A. Parish in Huntsville to his brother, Elam in Marion, Ala. Urges
to come to Texas, refers to crop conditions and prices, and also to county election.
4. May 22, 1851 - From Wiley Kirby and Celai Kirby in Madison County, Tennessee to Joel Parish in
Ala. Family news re: marriages, illnesses, and deaths; condition of writer's crops, including prices.
Description of Jackson, Tennessee and the schools and churches at that time.
5. February 26, 1854 - From W.A. Parish in Huntsville, Texas to his mother and brother in Marion,
Conditions in and activities of Huntsville including farm prices and products, river and navigation, land
prices. Urges family to invest in Texas land.
6. May 12, 1844 - Copy of letter from Jaby Curry in Perry Co. to "Uncle William". Writers views on
election of 1844 and question of annexation of Texas in addition to family news
Return to Special Collections & Archives Homepage