Guide to the Websterian Society Papers, RG 105
Listed by: Dieter C. Ullrich
Date: September 2003
0.25 cubic feet; 1 item.
Number of Boxes:
1 oversized box
Historical or Biographical Sketch:
Websterian Society was a literary and debating club for students at the East Alabama Male College, the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Alabama and the Alabama Polytechnic Institute (all predecessors to Auburn University). Named for orator and senator Daniel Webster, the society was founded in 1859. From 1859 to 1936, the society met once a week to practice composition, elocution and discussion. By the early 1930's, membership began to decline and in the spring of 1936 ceased to exist. Prior to the early 1910s the society had a library, reading room and hall located in the college's main building (presently Samford Hall).
Scope and Content:
Consists of two handwritten ledgers of meeting minutes, membership roles and attendance lists of the Websterian Society of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Alabama.
Return to Special Collections & Archives Homepage