Guide to the Alabama and Florida Railroad Company, RG 116
Listed by: Dieter C. Ullrich
Date: September 2003
1.0 cubic feet; 3 items.
Number of Boxes:
1 oversized box.
Historical or Biographical Sketch:
The Alabama and Florida Railroad company of Alabama (also known as the Alabama & City of Montgomery Railroad Company) received land between from the United States government between Mobile and Montgomery in 1836. However, the company fell victim to the panic of 1837 and construction was not begun until 1850. In May of 1856 the company secured a land grant of nearly 400,000 acres to complete the railroad between Pensacola, Florida and Montgomery, Alabama. The track was completed between the two cities in 1861. Following the Civil War the company was forced to take a government loan to buy new locomotives and boxcars to continue operations in the region. By 1868 the Mobile & Great Northern Railroad Company and the Alabama & Florida Railroad Company merged to form the Mobile and Montgomery Railroad. The track between Mobile and Pensacola was finally completed in 1872. On January 21, 1880, the property of the Mobile and Montgomery Railroad Company, including its right of way and railroad, was transferred to the Louisville & Nashville Railroad Company.
Scope and Content:
Consists of a 1875 handwritten ledger documenting land sales of propery owned by the Alabama & Florida Railroad Company and the Mobile & Mongomery Railroad Company from May of 1856 to October of 1875. Identifies 538 purchasers, number of acres bought, and prices paid. Includes a map of the Mobile and Montgomery Railroad Land Grant and book that includes maps of townships containing land granted to the Alabama and Florida Railroad Company of Alabama.
Return to Special Collections & Archives Homepage