Guide to the Central Bank of Alabama Bank Notes, RG 139
Listed by: Dieter C. Ullrich
Date: October 2003
0.10 cubic feet; 29 items.
Number of Boxes:
1 file folder.
Historical or Biographical Sketch:
The Central Bank of Alabama was chartered by the Alabama State legislature in 1854. The bank was constructed at One Court Square in Montgomery, Alabama and completed in 1855, where it still stands today. The first president of the bank was William Knox, an immigrant who arrived in Montgomery sometime during the early 1830's from Strabane, Ireland. Prior to becoming president he served as one of the branch directors of the State Bank of Alabama in Montgomery from the mid 1830's to the mid 1840's. The bank was the first to grant loans to the Confederate government during the early days of the American Civil War.
Scope and Content:
Collection contains 29 bills in denominations of $1, $2, $3, $10, and $20. Some bills are signed by William Knox. All have illustrations of plantations, railroads, and other aspects of life and labor in Old South.
Return to Special Collections & Archives Homepage