Guide to the Dayton, Alabama Business Records, RG 178
Processed and Listed by: Dieter C. Ullrich
Date: June 2004
2.0 cubic feet; 12 items.
Number of Boxes:
1 ½ legal document boxes and 3 oversized boxes.
Type of material:
Some water and mold damage.
Historical or Biographical Sketch:
Dayton, Alabama was incorporated as a town on January 13, 1844. Miles Greene Askew (1807-186?), originally from Georgia, opened a dry goods store in Dayton later that same year. In 1855 Askew entered into business with Robert D. Gilbert, a druggist, also from Dayton. Thomas S. Locke, brother in-law of Miles, began to operate a grocery store around the same time period, which he managed until the 1880s. Following the Civil War, Miles' younger brother Hillard J. Askew (1811-1889) operated a General Store in Dayton until the late 1880s. The family store was passed down to L. T. Askew prior to the turn of the century and was in operation until 1925. Junius K. Conner (1849-1928) is beleived to have briefly operated a dry goods store in the early 1870s.
Scope and Content:
Consists of 11 account ledgers and loose papers of general stores that operated in Dayton, Marengo County, Alabama from 1844 to 1925. Ledgers include listing of items, prices, customer names, order lists, daily sales and the names of early settlers of Dayton and surrounding communities.
Return to Special Collections & Archives Homepage