AUBURN UNIVERSITY SPECIAL COLLECTIONS & ARCHIVES
Guide to the Burford Family Papers, RG 183
Processed and Listed by: Dieter C. Ullrich
Date: June 2004
0.25 cubic feet; 31 items.
Number of Boxes:
1 ½ legal document box.
Type of material:
Business records and personal correspondence.
Historical or Biographical Sketch:
The Burford family resided in Camden, Wilcox County, Alabama from 1830 to the
turn of the century. Leonard Mitchell Burford was born on January 25, 1805 in Jones County, Georgia. He and his wife, Rebekah
D. Wornum Burford, relocated to Conecuh County sometime in the late 1820s. By 1830 the Burford's established a cotton farm
outside Camden, referred to as Burford's Landing, where they raised eleven children. Leonard Burford died at his home in
Camden on July 2, 1862. His son Payton Daniel Burford (1829-1879) took over the family farm after his father's death. He and
his wife, Martha Mobley Crum (1832-1915), had four children: Betty Corinne (born 1859), Mary Emma (1856-1940), Alice and
William Peyton (1861-1939).
Scope and Content:
Consists of correspondence and purchase receipts from the Burford family of Camden, Wilcox
County, Alabama from 1843 to 1891. Papers include receipts for the sale of a slave, summons from local courts and the last
will and testament of Mitchell Burford.
Burford, Leonard Mitchell (1805-1862)
Burford, Payton Daniel (1829-1879)
Wilcox County, Alabama
1. Correspondence, March 1, 1829 - Barlow Bend, Clark County, Alabama - from Corinne to "old friend".
2. Correspondence, November 11, 1843 - Mobile, Alabama - from R. S. Walker to L. M. Burford.
3. Purchase receipt for slave, January 4, 1845 - Conecuh County, Alabama - from Littleberry Chapman to Leonard M.
4. Purchase receipt, July 8, 1847 - Mobile, Alabama - from Dade and Reynolds to L. M. Burford.
5. Correspondence, May 13, 1848 - Summerfield, Dallas County, Alabama - from Peyton [Daniel Burford] to "father" [Leonard
6. Purchase receipt, March 20, 1848 - Tuscaloosa, Alabama - from L. M. Burford to Charles Burford.
7. Grade report, 1848 - Summerfield, Dallas County, Alabama - from A. H. Mitchell to Payton Burford.
8. Will, January 4, 1848 - Conecuh County, Alabama - Mitchell Burford to family members.
9. Purchase receipt, March 14, 1853 - Mobile, Alabama - from Boykin, McRae and Foster to L. M. Burford.
10. Receipt Ledger, 1859 - Camden, Wilcox County, Alabama - from C & H. W. Love to L. M. Burford.
11. Purchase receipt, September 24, 1860 - place not identified - to W. W. Robinson from [W. H. J. Bettis]
12. Purchase receipt, May 16, 1860 - place not identified - to L. M. Burford from the steamer
13. Correspondence, April 10, 1860 - Summerfield, Dallas County, Alabama - from William P. Burford to "Der Par".
13.1 Military pay voucher, September 1, 1863 - place not identified - to Captain R. H. McClelland, Company B, 49th
14. Summons, January 2, 1861 - Wilcox County, Alabama - to W. J. F. Bettis.
15. Purchase receipt (missing June 23, 2004) - 1863
16. Purchase receipt, 1860 - no place identified - to B. S. Marshall.
17. Correspondence, November 14, 1875 - no place identified - to "Sister" from Willie.
18. Correspondence, January 25, 1880 - Oak Hill, Wilcox County, Alabama - to Win from Willie.
19. Correspondence, August 22, 1880 - [Nanna Stubba] - to "sister" from Sallie.
20. Purchase receipt - April 29, 1886 - Burford's Landing, Alabama - to F. G. Hollinger from W. P. [William Peyton]
21. Correspondence, December 21, 1888 - Mobile, Alabama - to J. R. Jenkins from Vaughan Watts & Co.
22. Summons, February 3, 1888 - Wilcox County, Alabama - to J. Henderson.
23. Correspondence, February 3, 1891 - Mobile, Alabama - to "Will"
24. Correspondence, February 14, 1891 - Camden, Alabama - to Willie from F. G. Hollinger.
25. Purchase receipt, October 30, 1864 - Mobile, Alabama - to L. M. Burford from Boykin M. Rae &
26. Correspondence, no date - to C. M. Burford from George J. Watson.
27. Correspondence, no date - to "ma" [Martha Mobley Crum Burford] from Alice Burford.
28. Correspondence, no date - to Nin from Adah.
29. Correspondence, June 1862 - Mobile, Alabama - to "wife" from "husband"
30. Correspondence, no date - Farmersville, Alabama - to Salla and Nin from "uncle"
31. Miscellaneous, no date - For the Last Time
to Special Collections & Archives Homepage