Listed by: Catherine Connor/Javan Frazier
Date: May 2002
Date Span: 1942-1995
Size of Collection: 6 file folders
Biographical / Historical Sketch: Captain Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I flying ace and chairman of the board for Eastern Airlines, was rescued by Lester Boutte and others in November 1942 after his plane crashed three weeks earlier. This material depicts what happened in the rescue according to the United States Marine Corps. Lester Boutte was also known as being the first man who had contact with Friendship 7 after it splashed down.
Scope/Content: Contains information regarding Navy Captain Lester Boutte and his rescue of Capt. Eddie Rickenbacker in 1942. Also contains 1985 Ames, Iowa reunion of Capt. Lester Boutte with the men he rescued.
1. Army Commendation and Incident Report
2. Various Photos
3. Fantail Fighters with story on Butte’s Involvement
4. Correspondence of Ames to Butte-1985
5. Information Regarding Ames Reunion-1985
6. Eight Men Who Wrestled Death