Guide to the John Bartek Papers, RG 528
Date Span: November 19 and 20, 1998
Biographical Sketch: Bartek was a flight mechanic during World War II. He was aboard the B-17 carrying Eddie Rickenbacker with a secret message from Sect. of War Henry Stimson to General Douglas MacArthur in 1942. The plane was forced to "ditch" into the Pacific Ocean, and the crew and passengers spent 21 days lost at sea.
Scope / Content: The collection documents John Francis Bartek’s speech at Auburn University about his World War II experience and an interview by professor David Lewis (tapes and transcription).
Box 11. Transcript: John Bartek interview w/ Dr. David Lewis and Dr. Dwayne Cox. (Auburn University, November 20, 1998)
2. Transcript: John Bartek Speech about being lost at sea during WWII (Auburn University, November 19, 1998)
3. Newspaper Clippings about Bartek visit to AU, November 19-20, 1998
4. Audiotape: John Bartek speech, 11/19/98 tape 1 of 2
5. Audiotape: John Bartek speech, 11/19/98 tape 2 of 2
6. Audiotape: John Bartek interview by Dr. David Lewis tape 1 of 3
7. Audiotape: John Bartek interview by Dr. David Lewis tape 2 of 3
8. Audiotape: John Bartek interview by Dr. David Lewis tape 3 of 3
Go to the Au Special Collections
& Archives Department Homepage