Guide to the Agricultural Conservation Program Maps, RG 569
Processed by: Angela Cook
Listed by: Dieter C. Ullrich
Date: January 2003
22.25 cubic feet.
Number of Boxes:
12 document boxes; 1 ½ document box and 17 oversized boxes.
Type of material:
Maps & Geographical sketchings
Some aging and foxing. Possible rodent damage.
Arranged by county and divided by size of map.
Historical or Biographical Sketch:
The maps of the Agricultural Conservation Program evolved out of a project initiated by the Agricultural Adjustment Administration in 1937. The program worked in cooperation with the Agricultural Extension Service to document farms in a number of Alabama counties. Different counties in Alabama were surveyed through aerial photography, and the resulting images were traced over by employees of the program to produced the maps. The maps are labeled by land owner and operator. William Randolph, an Alabama Polytechnic Institute (presently Auburn University) alumnus, directed the state program, and later went on to become the Southern Regional Director of the AAA as well as the president of the Alabama Farm Bureau.
Scope and Content:
Consists of maps of local farms from twenty-one Alabama counties. Includes index lists of the maps from the county offices and construction designs for extension service approved farmhouses and agricultural equipment. Each map consists of individual farms or portions of larger farms, lists the owner and operators of the plots and land usage. The maps were sketched during the years 1937 and 1938 as a local project of the Agricultural Adjustment Administration. Office records indicate that the remainder of Alabama's counties were to be mapped at a later time, but no evidence exists that the project was continued the following year.
Agricultural Adjustment Administration
Agricultural Conservation Program
St. Clair County
Return to Special Collections & Archives Homepage