RG No.: 798
RG Name: Logue-Simms Photographs
Page from 2nd edition: 38
Image Title: "Old Main"
Photo Date: 1883
Full Caption:
Old Main -- for nearly three decades, except for the long Civil War interruption, it served as the center of learning for East Alabama Male College and later A&M.  It is shown as it appeared to students in 1883, four years before it burned and was replaced by a new main building, later named Samford Hall.  Old Main?s twin towers and three sets of front steps differed from Samford?s clock tower, lower tower, and two front entrances, but these were lesser details.  On a more important level, both Old Main and Samford Hall seemed to signify stability, strength, and integrity. -- Photo: AU Archives

First PagePrevious PageParent PageNext PageLast Page