RG No.: 798
RG Name: Logue-Simms Photographs
Page from 2nd edition: 104-5
Image Title: API joins AEF
Photo Date: 1918
Full Caption:
On October 1, 1918, nearly all of API's able-bodied male students eighteen or older voluntarily joined the United States Army for what turned out to be short-lived military careers on campus.  The student-soldiers numbered 878, according to President Charles C. Thach, and formed the academic section of the Student Army Training Corps.  The vocational section was composed of enlisted men sent to Auburn for training in radio, auto mechanics, and general mechanics.  Both sections apparently were assembled on the drill field where Ross Square is today for the swearing-in of the student-soldiers.  They heard brief patriotic talks from Thach and others.  The students received honorable discharges in December following the Armistice that ended The Great War on November 11.  Each received "a sixty-dollar bonus check from Uncle Sam," the Glomerata reported. -- Photo:  AU Archives

First PagePrevious PageParent PageNext PageLast Page