RG No.: 798
RG Name: Logue-Simms Photographs
Page from 2nd edition: 129
Image Title: War Eagle
Photo Date: 1930
Full Caption:
Auburn's greatest football cry, War Eagle, took on feathered form in 1930 when this golden eagle was found on a farm near Auburn entangled in thick pea vines.  Bought for ten dollars by local businessmen, the eagle was turned over to the A-Club.  Cheerleaders DeWit Stier (left) and Harry "Happy" Davis, later executive secretary of the Alumni Association, helped care for the new mascot, which quickly proved a good omen.  Auburn hadn?t beaten a Southern Conference football foe in four seasons until the eagle attended the 25-7 victory over South Carolina at Columbia in the last game of 1930. -- Photo: The Auburn Alumnews

First PagePrevious PageParent PageNext PageLast Page