RG No.: 798
RG Name: Logue-Simms Photographs
Page from 2nd edition: 144
Image Title: "The Bottle." An Auburn Landmark
Photo Date: 1924
Full Caption:
"The world's largest bottle" was built five miles north of Toomer's Corner in 1924.  It was at the intersection where the extension of College Street (Lee County Road 147) runs into U.S. Highway 280.  Painted bright orange, the structure was sixty-four feet tall and forty-nine feet around at its base.  It was shaped like a Nehi drink bottle and was a combination home, grocery, and service station.  Visitors could see miles of countryside from windows in the neck and from the bottle cap, an observation tower.  Although fire destroyed the structure in 1933, decades later the intersection was still called The Bottle. -- Photo: The Auburn Alumnews

First PagePrevious PageParent PageNext PageLast Page