|The Samford Tower bell that used to sound reveille and summon
students to chapel had been silent for many years when in 1939 President
L.N. Duncan climbed the steep belfrey stairs, pulled the rope, and signaled
the start of a Greater Auburn Day and a $1.5-million building program.
The coed with Dr. Duncan is unidentified. An estimated three- thousand
people, including Governor and Mrs. Frank M. Dixon, attended the ceremonies.
They saw approximately fifteen-hundred cadets parade briskly to the music
of the Auburn band. Some two-thousand visitors ate barbecue at Bibb
Graves Centre, and Coach Jack Meagher's Blues beat his Orange team 19-2
in a wintry football game. -- Photo: AU Archives