|Soldiers lived in the Women's Quadrangle in 1943-44, receiving
instruction at Auburn under the Army Specialized Training Program.
Naval trainees occupied Alumni Hall and called the dormitory a "ship,"
its floors "decks," and its walls "bulkheads." They also "went ashore"
and "reported aboard." Displaced female students moved into fraternity
houses, where occupancy had been sharply reduced by the call to military
service, and the remaining frat members found lodging elsewhere.
Coeds also moved into Auburn Hall, formerly a men's dorm. -- Photo: AU