Guide to the Charles B. Vickery Papers, RG 963
Processed and Listed by: Dieter C. Ullrich
Date: May 2004
1.0 cubic feet; 40 items.
Number of Boxes:
2 document boxes.
Type of material:
Correspondence and photographs
Organized by subject and arranged chronologically.
Historical or Biographical Sketch:
Charles B. Vickery was a native of Excel, Monroe County, Alabama. He attended Alabama Polytechnic Institute (currently Auburn University) from 1937 until his graduation in 1941. He received a Bachelor of Science degree in Agriculture that same year. After graduation he taught school for a year and during the Second World War served in the United States Army. In 1948, Mr. Vickery joined the Alabama Cooperative Extension Service where he served as an Assistant County Agent in Escambia County. In 1962 he completed his course work at Auburn University and received a Master of Science degree in Agriculture. He was named county agent in Escambia County in April of 1963 but was transferred to Mobile County in October of 1963 after the death of Charles J. Brockway. In 1964 he received the Distinguished Service Award from the Alabama Cooperative Extension Service. He later received awards of recognition from the Mobile County Farm Bureau, Mobile County Cattlemen's Association, and the Federal Land Bank Association. He also served as State Director, Secretary-Treasurer, Vice President, and President of the Alabama Association of County Agricultural Agents.
Scope and Content:
Consists of correspondence and organizational records kept by Charles B. Vickery the director of the Mobile County, Alabama Extension Service from 1963 to 1993. Includes the correspondence of Charles J. Brockway the Mobile County Service director from the 1934 to 1963, records from the Alabama Association of County Agricultural Agents (1978-2000) and material related to the office of the Mobile County Extension Service.
Vickery, Charles B.
Brockway, Charles J.
Alabama Association of County Agricultural Agents
Alabama Cooperative Extension Service
Mobile County, Alabama
Return to Special Collections & Archives Homepage