Policies & Services
Research Room Policies
- Permission to examine manuscripts is granted to researchers upon the reading and completion of an application form provided for that purpose, subject to whatever restrictions may have been placed by donors. Researchers agree to abide by whatever limitations donors have placed on the use of private archival and manuscript material.
- Coats, purses, briefcases, backpacks, envelopes, books, notebooks, and other items not needed for research purposes must be left in the locker at the reception desk.
- Use only pencils for taking notes. The use of pens in the research room is forbidden. You may also use computers for taking notes.
- Maintain documents in the order found. If you feel something is misplaced or missing, please consult with the department staff. Handle documents carefully. Do not lean on, write on, or write over documents. Do not fold, trace, fasten with paper clips, or handle material in any way likely to damage it. Do not use post-it markers.
- Researchers suspected of theft or vandalism may be subjected to search and prosecution in accordance with the laws of the State of Alabama.
- Researchers are responsible for the safeguarding of any materials made available in a research room. The department permits the reproduction of materials from its collections on a case-by-case basis, depending on the condition and legal status of the items. You may not remove materials from the reading room without permission.
- Researchers agree to acknowledge the Special Collections and Archives Department, Auburn University, as holding the original documents. Researchers agree not to duplicate documents for sale.
- Drinking, eating, and smoking are prohibited in the research room.
- Materials cannot be taken outside the department.
- Researchers are monitored by security cameras.
Reproduction of Special Collections Material
- Patrons may photocopy manuscripts, journal articles, and chapters in books, theses or dissertations.
- Scanning of archival items or images onto storage media is free if done by the patron. Storage Media will not be provided by the department.
- All reproduction services provided by the department are billed through InfoQuest, the Libraries' fee-for-services unit.
- Photocopies cost $15 for up to 20 pages and 20 cents per page thereafter.
- Photographic prints are produced by the Auburn University Photo Services Department. Prices may vary according to image size, number of images and/or other specialized alterations of the original image.
- Prices for duplicating audio and video materials vary depending upon original format and dubbing costs.
- Scanned items sent as e-mail attachments are billed at $50.00 per hour in 15-minute increments.
- Digital cameras are permitted.
Publication of Special Collections Material
- Permission to publish archival and manuscript material in any format requires written permission from Auburn University.
- Approval of the application to publish authorizes publication only in a single new work. Such authorization is not exclusive and Auburn University does not thereby surrender its own right to publish or to grant others permission to do so.
- The department requests a copy of all publications for which permission to publish has been granted.
- Credit shall be given as follows:
Auburn University Libraries
Department of Special Collections & University Archives.
Special Collections & Archives
Ralph B. Draughon Library
Auburn, Alabama 36849-5606
Dec 04, 2012