What is VPN?
- Short for Virtually Private Network, VPN software allows public networks, such as the Internet, to be used for secure private communications. Although VPN can be used for a variety of purposes, it can be used for off-campus or AU Wireless access to the Auburn University databases SciFinder Scholar and MDL CrossFire Commander (Beilstein and Gmelin).
- The VPN software discussed on this page is available only to Auburn University faculty, students, and staff.
- An Auburn University User ID and password are required to use the VPN software, SciFinder Scholar and MDL CrossFire Commander. If you are faculty, staff, or student, and do not have an Auburn University User-ID, contact the Technology Hotline at 844-4944. If you have forgotten your password, you will need to visit the OIT Help Desk.
 Using SciFinder Scholar from Off-Campus or Via AU Wireless
- SciFinder Scholar is only available to Auburn University faculty, students and staff for non-comercial use.
- Once VPN software is installed on your computer and configured for Auburn University, you will be able to use SciFinder Scholar from an off-campus computer or from an AU Wireless connnection. You will also be able to use the Beilstein and Gmelin databases.
- Connect to the Internet.
- Use VPN software to establish a connection with the Auburn University network.
- Open SciFinder Scholar (or MDL CrossFire Commander to use Beilstein or Gmelin).
 VPN for Windows or Macintosh Operating Systems
- Go to AU Install http://www.auburn.edu/oit/software/aunet/
- Scroll down until you come to Cisco VPN.
- Download and install the Windows or Macintosh version of Cisco VPN onto your computer. Next to the VPN client download link, see the "Instructions for Download/Install."
- You are now ready to establish a VPN connection.
 Establishing a VPN Connection
- "Using from off campus" next to the VPN client download link at AU Install shows how to use Cisco VPN software to establish a connection from your computer to the Auburn University network.
- Go to the Start Menu.
- Choose Programs, then Cisco System VPN Client, then VPN Dialer.
- Choose AU Off Campus and click on the Connect button in the VPN Client.
- In the User Authentication window, enter your AU User Name and password and click on OK.
- Click on Continue when the Cisco System VPN Client window opens.
- You should now be connected the AU network and able to use SciFinder Scholar or MDL CrossFire Commander.
- If you wish to use an Internet browser, open a new Internet browser window, or refresh any that you already have open.
Questions or comments?
- Bob Buchanan
- Updated May 15, 2007