Guide to the Guide to the Carolynne B. Scott Papers, RG 65
Listed by: Dieter C. Ullrich
Date: July 2003
0.5 cubic feet; 20 items.
Number of Boxes:
2 1/2 letter document boxes.
Historical or Biographical Sketch:
Carolynne Blackwell Scott was born on February 10, 1937 in Birmingham, Alabama to Walter Craig and Florrie (Webb) Blackwell. She attended local public schools and in 1958 received a Bachlor of Arts degree from Samford University. Soon after graduation she became associate editor to the Shades Valley Sun. In 1959 she taught at Hewitt-Trussville High School but remained only a year before becoming a reporter for the Birmingham News in their women's department. In 1964 she became fashion editor for the paper and the following year was promoted to the managing editor. She served as publicity director for the Alabama Sesquicentennial in 1969 and later in the same capacity for the Birmingham Centennial from 1971 to 1972. Ms. Scott has been the recipient of numeorus literary awards including the winner of the Scope Literary Competition (1967), runner-up in the Hackney Literary Competition (1969) and was winner of the Alabama Regional Photography Competition (1969). She was also awarded a National Endowment for the Arts Creative Writing Fellowship in Fiction in 1978 and has published a book of short stories and a book on Alabama historic sites. In 1994, she won first place in Georgia College's Faux Flannery Contest, in which competitors submit stories written in Flannery O'Connor's literary style, with her short story, "The Map to Heaven." She has been a member of the Birmingham Association of Industrial Editors, Alabama Historical Association, and St. Clair Historical Society. She currently resides in Birmingham.
Scope and Content:
Contains correspondence and media coverage concerning the short story "The Map to Heaven" by Carolynne B. Scott. Principal materials include working drafts, final drafts, printed stories, and correspondence with publishers and others concerning the author's short stories.
Accession No.: 96-32
Accession No.: 95-58
Return to Special Collections & Archives Homepage