Guide to the First Universalist Church of Camp Hill, RG 94
Listed by: Dieter C. Ullrich
Date: August 2003
2 items; 2 microfilm reels.
Number of Boxes:
2 microfilm boxes
Historical or Biographical Sketch:
Founded in 1846 in a small, rural community in East Central Alabama, the First Universalist Church of Camp Hill grew to be the largest Universalist church in the South during the first half of the twentieth century. Prior to 1909, the church was known as the Liberty Universalist Church. In 1898 the church was instrumental in the establishment of Lyman Ward Academy bringing quality education to the area. However, the migration of families from rural areas to urban centers over past six decades brought a decline to the church. In recent years, the church at Camp Hill, though much smaller, has persisted and has seen a steady growth in membership.
Scope and Content:
This collection, however begins in 1879. The first record book reportedly burned in a fire around 1880. The earliest records (1879-1930s), all of which were kept in ledgers, consist of bylaws, membership lists, financial records, and minutes of business and board of trustee meetings. Into the twentieth century, record-keepers ceased to use ledgers since they were not large enough to house the growing mass of information. Typed membership lists, treasury reports, correspondence, and minutes of meetings chronicle the church's evolution roughly from the 1940s up to the 1980s. Miscellaneous records consist of newsletters, pamphlets, copies of unused documents, and unrelated materials. Some undated records, such as minutes, have been placed at the back of their corresponding series.
Return to Special Collections & Archives Homepage