AUBURN UNIVERSITY SPECIAL COLLECTIONS & ARCHIVES
Guide to the Launcelot M. Blackford Papers, RG 188
Processed and Listed by: Dieter C. Ullrich
Date: June 2004
0.25 cubic feet; 14 items.
Number of Boxes:
1 ½ document box.
Type of material:
Historical or Biographical Sketch:
Launcelot M. Blackford was born in Caroline County, Virginia in 1837 to William
M. and Mary Berkley Minor Blackford. Just prior to the start of the Civil War, Launcelot was a student at the University of
Virginia. During the early part of the war, he served as a private in Archibald Graham's Light Artillery Company (1st
Rockbridge Artillery) and later as a clerk in the Confederate Military Court. Following the war he served as Head of the
Episcopal High School for boys in Alexandria, Virginia from 1870 to 1913.
Scope and Content:
Contains the transcribed correspondence of Launcelot M. Blackford to his father William M.
Blackford and other family members in Virginia from June 1860 to December 1861. Includes letters from Manassas Junction,
Charlottesville, Fairfax Station, Lynchburg, Winchester and Martinsburg, Virginia (currently West Virginia) during the first
year of the American Civil War.
Civil War -- Virginia
Blackford, Launcelot Minor, 1837-1914.
Blackford, William Matthews, 1801-1864.
Blackford, William W.
Kean, Robert G. H.
Mary Berkley Minor Blackford
Manassas Junction, Virginia
Fairfax Station, Virginia
Martinsburg, Virginia (currently West Virginia)
1. June, 1860
- William W. Blackford (brother) to Launcelot M. Blackford - Saltville, Virginia - June 6, 1860.
2. April, 1861
- William M. Blackford (father) to Launcelot M. Blackford - Lynchburg, Virginia - April 18, 1861.
3. May, 1861
- Robert G. H. Kean (family friend from Lynchburg) to Launcelot M. Blackford - Manassas Junction, Virginia - May __,
4. June, 1861
- Launcelot M. Blackford to William M. Blackford - University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia - June 29, 1861.
5. August, 1861
- Launcelot M. Blackford to William M. Blackford - University Military School, Charlottesville, Virginia - August 3,
6. September, 1861
- Launcelot M. Blackford to William M. Blackford - Camp "Masked Battery", near Fairfax Station, Virginia - September 18,
- Launcelot M. Blackford to Mary Berkley Minor Blackford (mother) - Camp of Jackson's Brigade, near Fairfax Court House,
Virginia - September 20, 1861.
7. October, 1861
- Mary Berkley Minor Blackford to Launcelot M. Blackford - Lynchburg, Virginia - October 1, 1861.
- William M. Blackford to Launcelot M. Blackford - Lynchburg, Virginia - October 2, 1861.
- Launcelot M. Blackford to William M. Blackford - Wise Cavalry Troop, near Fairfax Court House, Virginia - October 10,
8. November 8, 1861
- Launcelot M. Blackford to William M. Blackford - Camp at Centerville, Virginia - November 8, 1861.
- Launcelot M. Blackford to Mary Berkley Minor Blackford - 3 miles above Winchester, Virginia - November 12, 1861.
9. December, 1861
- Launcelot M. Blackford to Mary Berkley Minor Blackford - Martinsburg, Virginia - December 9, 1861.
- Launcelot M. Blackford to William M. Blackford - Winchester, Virginia - December 31, 1861.
to Special Collections & Archives Homepage