RG No.: 798
RG Name: Logue-Simms Photographs
Page from 2nd edition: 126-7
Image Title: Aerial photo of Auburn
Photo Date: ca. 1930s
Full Caption:
A Maxwell Field pilot coming in from the west took dead aim and dived his plane at Samford Hall moments before this picture was taken in the 1930s.  The water tower at upper left is just behind Toomer Drugstore.  The class numeral "34" appears to be painted on the tank.  To the left of the water at the edge of the picture is the Post Office opened in 1933 at Gay Street and Tichenor Avenue.  The word "Auburn" is on the roof of the Toomer Building, painted as a guide to aviators.  The building due west of Samford Hall is Alumni Gym, and that is a tennis court on the Thach Avenue side of the gym.  Across the street is the President's Home, later named the Social Center and finally Cater Hall.  Up the hill on Thach is the library, surrounded on three sides by homes of faculty members.  On the south side of Magnolia Avenue are the recently completed Textile Engineering Building and Ramsay and Broun halls.  The first house across the street from Ramsay is the S.L. Toomer home, with a pasture on the downhill side.  For several years, cows in that pasture provided the milk that went into ice cream sold at Toomer Drugstore. -- Photo: AU Archives

First PagePrevious PageParent PageNext PageLast Page