Auburn University Libraries has opened “John Jenkins Wilmore: Engineering Education”, a new exhibit in the Auburn University Libraries’ Special Collections & Archives Department. The exhibit tells the story of Wilmore’s life and work, including 55 years at Auburn, through his letters, essays, and photographs.
The archives recently acquired the papers of the former dean of engineering, which include Wilmore’s personal papers and family records dating back to 1834. Wilmore began his career at Auburn in 1888 when he designed a steam engine that was used to generate electricity for Langdon Hall and Old Main. He served as dean of engineering from 1907 until his death in 1943. Wilmore worked alongside Bolling Crenshaw, Luther Duncan, George Petrie, and many others who shaped the university during the beginning of the 20th century.
The exhibit will continue through December 2019 and is located on the ground floor of the Ralph Brown Draughon Library inside the Special Collections & Archive Department. It is open to the public during all regular Special Collections & Archives hours. Hours for Special Collections & Archives may be found here. For more information on the Wilmore papers, visit the SC&A page here.